Skip to main content

tv   MTP Daily  MSNBC  September 2, 2016 2:00pm-3:01pm PDT

2:00 pm
we appreciate it. >> appreciate you guys. thanks. that's going to do it for this hour. i'm going to see you in a couple of hours, 7:00 eastern for "hardball." first "mtp daily" starts right now. if it's friday, republicans see donald trump heading one way and many who are running on the ballot in '16 are heading the other. tonight, dumping trump. down ballot republicans aren't waiting for a memo from washington. they've already started to distance themselves from trump before it's too late. >> this is not the choice i wanted us to have. >> plus, could the fbi's public policy today of its clinton e-mail notes actually end up helping her campaign? you've got mail. lots of it. with many politicians sounding more like a stalking ex-lover, desperately seeking your dollars. this is "mtp daily," and it starts right now.
2:01 pm
good evening. i'm chuck todd. welcome to "mtp daily." we're following the big news this friday. if it's friday, it's a document dump day, right? today the documents came from the fbi. they released a report on its investigation into hillary clinton's private e-mail server. we'll dig into what's inside those documents coming up. no big shocks or surprises. obviously. comey had given us his report. now we get some of the details he based that report on. first, the bigger picture here. the new reality for republicans running for office that aren't named trump. when this campaign is over, we're going to likely look back and say that august was the month that the republican party made the decision to jump off the trump train. there's been no memo. no major announcement. reince priebus didn't come on "meet the press" and say i've instructed them to start helping
2:02 pm
senate cand dhaidatecandidates. the party and the candidates with their names on the ballot in november have already moved on and you can see it in their actions. paul ryan used a fund-raising e-mail to pitch it as a check on a president hillary clinton writing, i worry about what will happen if hillary clinton is elected president. and then there's senator majority leader mitch mcconnell who recently tried to defend his silence on trump by saying a vote for trump over clinton is easy for me adding when trump says something i have to speak up on, i will. but that doesn't mean i don't support him. when it comes to senators up for re-election, no one is cozying up to trump. marco rubio was distancing himself from trump. >> i would remind everybody, this was not the choice i wanted us to have. between someone who i disagree with on many issues and someone i disagree with on every issue. >> look, i've told you guys, i've stood by everything i ever said in my campaign. >> portman, ayotte are all
2:03 pm
distancing themselves from trump as well. >> he has my vote. he doesn't have my endorsement. i'm going to continue to focus on really my race. >> and then there was this ad from john mccain that he released yesterday signaling that the presidential race, as far as he's concerned, is a lost cause. >> my opponent is a good person. but if hillary clinton is elected president, arizona will need a senator who will act as a check, not a rubber stamp. >> get used to hearing that quite a bit over the next few weeks. in louisiana, bill cassidy isn't up for re-election but he doesn't sound so hopeful that his party is going to win the white house. >> secretary clinton is elected president, i hope we find common ground as to how to progress as a nation. i will point out two things
2:04 pm
she's recently announced i am personally taking a point on making happen. there will be common ground. >> there you go. and bill cassidy, if you followed his race before, not exactly a liberal or moderate republican. louisiana pretty conservative guy. will dumping trump work? a poll found it might. majority of clinton voters are likely to split their tickets, but will it be enough? democrats plan to flood the air waves with ads attempting to tie every republican opponent to trump. so either the republicans separating themselves from trump will work like it did in '96. clinton won by nine points and republicans netted two senate seats, or the republicans end up getting toppled in a wave election. obviously, they want to prevent the wave from happening. larry sabato joins us. we haven't seen split ticketing
2:05 pm
in a long time, but we have seen parties make these decisions. and this is one of those things that mark murray and i were going, wait a minute. everybody is wonder, when is reince priebus going to do this? the candidates have already done it in many of these races. >> yeah. chuck, they're smart. and they want to preserve their careers. and they don't need them. and thumbs up signal from priebus. obviously, they are going to follow what john mccain did. i've been around a while. i heard it with goldwater. i support the nominee but now let me tell you about me and my record. that's what you're going to hear from loads of republicans. and, chuck, i'm very susspushs about that poll that showed almost a quarter of clinton's voters are willing toet split. it was -- let me tell you. ticket splitting was only 10% of the voters in 2012. i don't think it's going to jump nearly that high. >> if you look at '96, it was a
2:06 pm
situation where republicans essentially, they did almost put out a memo. i think haley barbour at the time, the rnc chairman, said it's time to save the house and senate, and it worked. clinton won by nine points, and democrats only netted nine house seats. and actually lost ground in the senate. so it does exist, ticket splitting. >> it exists. but as polarized as we were in 1996, we're far more polarized today. and polarization does tend to bleed down the ticket. you have more and more people voting for the same party from the white house to the courthouse. i'm not denying they're going to be some cases. rob portman is an excellent example. he'd be the most likely to survive, senator from ohihighwo republican senator from ohio. we can already see in illinois and wisconsin and new hampshire, good luck to the republican incumbents.
2:07 pm
>> let me ask you this. they are essentially promising any ad, any of our ads run between now and election day is going to do whatever they can to tie republican x to donald trump. meanwhile, obviously, their ad campaigns we're going to be talking about, you know, localizing an election or talking about themselves. the totality of all that ad spending. how much of an impact could it have on creating a wave effect? >> i think it will have some impact. i think again polarization is much more important than advertising spending. what the democrats are doing is far more than what the republicans have done to this point, and they have a presidential candidate who really isn't spending much money on tv or on the ground game versus hillary clinton who is raising and spending a ton of money on tv and the democrats have really invested in a strong ground game. these things make a difference. a point or two or three or four. they make a difference.
2:08 pm
>> obviously the presidential race has tightened. but it's not tightening in an even way. the trump number doesn't move. it's the clinton number that's is flu id. obviously the bounce is gone. it's what moves. but whatever erosion happened it didn't go to trump. it went everywhere else. some undecided. there's no one place it went. it just didn't go to trump. how much of a red flag is that if you are in trump land? >> it ought to be a big red flag. fundamentally, all that has happened is that hillary clinton finally lost her convention bounce. they had a very successful convention. the bounce lasted longer than usual. it was going to fade eventually. let's say it stays at 4 points. have we forgotten that president obama meet mitt romney by 5 million votes by winning by four points? that's a lot. i kind of think clinton is going
2:09 pm
to end up about where obama was. >> obama '12 or '08? >> obama '12. i think there's a possibility it would go higher, but i'm saying between the 4 and seven points and closer to four but let's see who blows one of the debates. who knows. >> well, and that's -- those are the next big moments we'll be watching starting this wednesday with their first joint appearance together on nbc and msnbc. larry sabato, thank you. let me bring in tonight's panel. a former rnc chair michael steele, ron fournier. michael, you had -- you had to dabble a little in '06 and good stuff in '10. >> i was a candidate in '06. i know very well what ift was like. >> you were when your race didn't get prioritized and the money said we have to go save the senate. we love you, michael steele but
2:10 pm
we have to go save candidates. and this happens. when did you know it was happening? about now or -- >> it happened a little earlier because the numbers were beginning to shift. the atmosphere was so poisonous. it was the scarlet letter year nep"r" was not a letter you wanted to have. so what i did was, we adapted. i was a county chairman and state party chairman. i get it. >> bush, never met him. don't know who he is. >> actually, i ran into bush. i ran into that. i didn't run away from it as some other candidates did. for me it was like, okay, i'm in maryland. no one is going to believe me going out here and dissing the president. i ran into that. and we kept it close for a long time. there does come a point where the well is so poisonous for the party that it bleeds on to the candidates. you're having not so much the party but the central player
2:11 pm
that has that problem. >> the danger is how it becomes self-fulfilling for trump. some of these candidates are looking around. y maybe the polls have tightened but there's no ground game. and they are going -- i've got to -- forget it. i'm on my own. fine. i'm on my own. and then all of a sudden, they aren't there to back him up. >> you have that and the fact he has lack of a ground game. plus some political science behind the fact voters who are human beings with human nature like to support a winner. when he has the stink of a loser, it's hard to close that gap. >> how do you support the split ticketing? can you effectively message that way when you have a bunch of voters who aren't happy with clinton but are open to the argument that you can't vote for him. i'll hold my nose there but maybe should vote to have a check on her as john mccain used. >> or one of the challenges is that donald trump is so crazy that there's no one like him.
2:12 pm
so it's -- this analogy -- >> not a believable thing to many. oh, there's no way -- >> barack obama, it basically gave him a pass. we know you're not like that. he's not a republican or conservative. >> because they are so hands off, this idea of them appearing together, you'll not have the photos and stuff with the two of them hugging each other because most of these republicans, i don't think they like each other. for us, i think one of the things missing in this commentary is the -- we need turnout. all these trump ads do is mobilize a different electorate. the scarlet "r" was so bad because the turnout was so good for us. the trump ads are trying to create a wave. the democrats believe it. yes, that's just like donald trump but the -- >> do they feel that way about trump the way they did it bush in '06 to foster that turnout? >> waves happen not because one party exceeds turnout but
2:13 pm
because one party doesn't show up. it's the demoralization factor that i know that's what keeps rob portman up at night. >> right. >> he's running. but 10% fewer republicans show up in ohio, he's got a problem. >> whether you are talking about 1916 or 2016, how do you get people to turn out? you knock on doors. tell them what they need to hear to vote for you. because donald trump doesn't have this, the republican party doesn't have that kind of robust -- >> millions of dollars, too, to get those people on the ground. they don't show up automatically. >> this is the first time it looks like the presidential nominee for the republicans is basically saying, i don't need that ground game or infrastructure. i'll just go on a show and that will stimulate my vote. >> no precedent for that. also no precedent for donald trump. something else i'm hearing. there's different ways you
2:14 pm
motivate people to vote. michele bachmann has an odd way of motivating the republican base. i have to play this clip. >> i don't want to be melodramatic, but i want to be truthful. i believe this is the last election. this is it. this is the last election when we even have a chance to vote for somebody who will stand up for godly, moral principles. hillary clinton will ensure it won't happen because she's going to change the demographics of the united states so that no republican will ever win again. >> i -- there are no words other than she's not aware of the history of political parties evolve. every party has evolved. >> thank you. i'm ready to see the fact we could have a good idea in the future. >> never again. i guess she's saying she's just
2:15 pm
going to open up the borders and make anybody a citizen who will vote for clinton? >> it's this overreach, end of days, you know, hillary clinton is the devil. the thing turning voters away from the republican party. >> his issue is -- kellyanne conway knows this. that's why she was trying to get him to tone things down. >> hillary clinton should run michele bachmann in every district in america. >> in their was a time african-americans were a republican voting bloc. everything evolves. >> and turnout ebbs and flows. no democrat says 2018 looks like a gangbuster year. we're trying to win though senate by enough to sustain some losses. but i think the other thing about michele bachmann, what's really telling, people that really hate that kind of end of days dialogue are women voters who feel our job is to fix it. you're right. hillary clinton should run that on cable. >> they have kids.
tv-commercial
2:16 pm
you are telling me this is the end for my kids? >> i remember when the democratic vote are had too many old voters. they're dying off. >> after '94. >> that's what they thought. >> all younger voters are going with the republicans. michele bachmann, things ebb and flow. >> the american voter even in times like this is optimistic. we want to believe our country is going to get better. >> you guys are sticking around. we'll come back. a lot more to chew on, including our friend at he fbi released a bunch more information on hillary clinton and the e-mails. coming up, donald trump changes his tune again on immigration. is this chaos or calculated? hillary clinton: i'm hillary clinton and i approve this message. vo: in times of crisis america depends on steady leadership. donald trump: "knock the crap out of them, would you? seriously..."vo: clear thinking... donald trump: "i know more about isis than the generals do, believe me." vo: and calm judgment. donald trump: "and you can tell them to go fu_k themselves." vo: because all it takes is one wrong move.
2:17 pm
donald trump audio only: "i would bomb the sh_t out of them." vo: just one.
2:18 pm
if it's sunday, even labor day, "meet the press" is hard at work. republican vice presidential nominee mike pence will join me to discuss the state of the race. i'll be traveling to ohio tomorrow to sit down with him. and this means we've had both
2:19 pm
tickets on "meet the press." the only sunday show that's had both tickets so far this year. we'll have much more on the republican ticket and the immigration issue coming up in a minute. you're watching "mtp daily." don't let dust and allergens get between you and life's beautiful moments. flonase gives you more complete allergy relief. most allergy pills only control one inflammatory substance. flonase controls 6. and six is greater than one. flonase changes everything. ♪
2:20 pm
trump and his campaign's rhetoric on immigration has been a case study in confusion. is this a strategy or is it just plain chaos? favorite phrase of mr. jeb bush during the primaries. trump appeared to muddy the waters after making a speech that was toted as the definitive statement. trump laid out a zero tolerance strategy for the 11 million undocumented immigrants in this country. >> they will have one route and one route only. to return home and apply for re-entry like everyone else. no one will be immune or exempt from enforcement.
2:21 pm
>> his speech was panned by members of his own campaign hispanic advisory council. then last night he appeared to walk back that get-tough policy. >> we're going to get rid of all the bad players that are here. the gang members, gang leaders, drug dealers. after that takes place, we'll sit back. we'll assess the situation. we're going to see where we are because we'll have people in the country that have come in illegally. we're going to sit back, assess the situation. we're going to make a decision at that time. >> a change. now check this out. yesterday trump was asked about amnesty for some undocumented immigrants. he does not appear to rule out amnesty. >> are you going to consider amnesty for those who haven't considered -- >> we're not going to consider anything now. we're not going to let people come in illegally anymore and then we'll make the
2:22 pm
determination. >> i think donald trump the primary candidate would have attacked that donald trump and said that's amnesty. there are some issues where it benefits a campaign to muddy the waters and keep things vague. immigration is not one of them. on this issue in particular, the rhetoric has at times been dizzying. here's a small sampling. >> there certainly can be a softening. >> i don't think it's a softening. i've had people say it's a hardening. >> it is softening. you'll see there's quite a bit of softening. >> extreme vetting. i want extreme. it's going to be so tough. >> we have a president that is grossly incompetent. >> obama got tremendous numbers of people out of the country. i'm going to do the same thing, and i just said that. >> we'll have a deportation force. >> he is not talking about a deportation force. >> i am going to create a new special deportation task force. >> how do you deport 12 million -- >> you do it. they have to go. >> it depends.
2:23 pm
>> can we go through a process, or do you think they have to get out? tell me. you tell me. >> i assure you nothing has changed in terms of the policies. >> nothing has changed about donald trump's position. >> trump's team is hoping he'll stick to a script tomorrow as he wades deeper into minority issues. he'll be meeting with members of the black community. i'm joined by boris epshteyn. welcome to the show, sir. >> thanks, chuck. how are you? >> i am good. you saw what we did there. >> oh, yeah. quite entertaining. >> well, clear it up. do you understand why there's confusion? >> no, absolutely not. maybe there's confusion because of these little puff pieces like that where you pick and choose words and try to confuse the american public about the fact it's really a binary choice between donald trump who will make sure all illegal immigrants who are criminals are deported. he'll end catch and release and
2:24 pm
end sanctuary citizens. and hillary clinton who wants 100-day amnesty. an open-border policy. it will make sure we don't have a country anymore. that's the binary choice. >> i ask you on because there's a lot of republicans that wanted to get on board, including hispanic americans who thought he was going to show more empathy for the noncriminals among the undocumented. and then it appears that he didn't want -- that, no, they weren't going to get any sort of special treatment. and you heard, he was asked, well, we'll think about it later. what does later mean? is it amnesty or not? >> absolutely not amnesty. no amnesty. no process to legalization for those here illegally. donald trump has been absolutely consistent on that. the media is obsessed with parsing his words but the whole policy has been consistent. he laid out ten points in his speech. and when those ten points are done, at that point in time will
2:25 pm
the trump administration figure out what the next step is to do in terms of those illegal immigrants who are not -- i'd like to know it's 25 minutes in and we still haven't talked about hillary clinton's e-mail release or the 302s once. >> you're welcome to apply to become executive producer of my show or something like that and you can do that. but i'll decide the order of stories that we're going to do. there's been plenty of coverage on clinton and i think if you look at my track record, you're well aware of that. >> but that's the news of the day today. >> the issue is, your own candidate keeps going back and forth. i'll ask you this. is there a deportation force or not? >> there's a tripling of the i.c.e. force. >> this is not a task force then? mr. trump said on wednesday it was a task force. >> it's a deportation task force and it's a tripling of force of i.c.e. and giving more spending and more where withal to all of
2:26 pm
our forces, to the department of justice and i.c.e. you have to contrast that to what hillary clinton wants to do which is to let anyone into this country. she doesn't want a wall now although in 2008 she said she was for a barrier. mexico will pay for the wall. that's a key. contrast donald trump versus hillary clinton. >> i know that's what's you want and that's always what they want. the fact of the matter is plenty of voters are not satisfied with either one of their choices and would like to know more about specific policy. >> let's talk about that. >> so let's go back to this immigration policy. what are you going to do with the noncriminal undocumented folks that are in this country. do they have to leave or not? >> first, make sure that all illegal immigrants who are criminals are deported. then we go through the rest of the steps. making sure e-verify is in place. making sure sanctuary cities -- one of 300,000 illegal
2:27 pm
immigrants let back into the country under president obama. at that point we'll deal with the remaining illegal immigrants. any new laws passed on working with congress, the constitution and humanely, which donald trump has been very consistent on. what hillary clinton wants to do is -- >> he hasn't been consistent. he hasn't been consistent because he's talked about, no, get them out of the country. do that first. he's even hinted they don't have to stay out for long but that was his policy until he said it wasn't. until he seemed to hint that maybe it is. and you say this as if -- you want to delay it. you and i both know there are hispanic voters not interested in hearing about a delay because they don't want to guess what's behind door number two. they want to know what you are going to do before election day. that's what they are trying to find out. >> the hispanic voters care about national security. they care about -- >> they care about a lot of issues. the economy. >> i would not say that all they care about is illegal
2:28 pm
immigration. illegal immigrants are not going to be voting unless there's more democrat voter fraud, which probably there will be. the case is this. we are running on a multitude of issues. immigration. national security. hillary clinton wants a 550% increase in syrian refugees. then talk about the economy. the jobs that are being taken from the american workers, by illegal immigrants and nafta. 700,000 jobs lost just to nafta. and then talk about the fact that donald trump is the one that's qualified to be president. he has the temperament to be president n and the news about hillary clinton, her interview with the fbi undersdoecores she been lying to the fbi. she lied about getting training on using e-mail and lied to congress about turning over all her e-mails. 72,500 e-mails. >> just so you know. if she had lied to the fbi, shoo she'd be in jail. >> no, because they didn't put
2:29 pm
her under oath. >> how do you know she lied? >> it came out today. the fact that she told -- she was lying to the fbi or put her signature on something that was not truthful. she signed the fact she received training. she told the fbi that she did not receive training. so which one is it? were you lying thn or lying now? either way, she is a liar. they used hammers to destroy blackberrys while she was secretary of state? that is absolute disqualification. there's a computer out there or multiple still missing because of information she put on there from her blackberry. >> let me ask you this -- >>shy was using it for ease? she had 15 blackberrys and -- >> how many devices do you have? >> i have one. i don't have 18. >> you don't van ipad? >> i don't use burner phones like a mobster like she did. >> do you think you'd have more credibility if donald trump would release his tax returns? >> absolutely not. he released 104 pages of
2:30 pm
financial disclosure. this is about her lying to congress, the fbi and the american people while secretary of state. she said that she believed that drone strikes was not a classified topic. she thought c stood for cookie, not classified or something like that's. these notes show she cannot be allowed to become president of this country. if you are a teacher and break all the rules of your school, you don't get to become principle. she'll not be allowed to do so. american people know better. that's why they'll elect donald trump on november 8th. >> boris epshteyn, i'll leave it there. spirited discussion. appreciate you coming on. you've got mail. the strategy behind all of those desperate for dollars campaign e-mails. if you were sick of them this month, you're not alone. why they might work better than you think. stay tuned. americans are buying more and more of everything online. and so many businesses rely on the united states postal service
2:31 pm
to get it there. because when you ship with us, that's why we make more ecommerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. the united states postal service. priority: you this just got interesting. why pause to take a pill? or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use is approved to treat both erectile dysfunction and the urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about l your medical conditions and dicines, and a if your heart is healthy enough for sex do not takcialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backac or muscle ache. to avoid long-term iury, get medical help right away for anrection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis and a $200 savings card
2:32 pm
stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. the possibility of a flare was almost always on my mind. thinking about what to avoid, where to go... and how to deal with my uc.
2:33 pm
to me, that was normal. until i talked to my doctor. she told me that humira helps people like me get uc under control and keep it under control when certain medications haven't worked well enough. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. raise your expectations. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, control is possible.
2:34 pm
still lots more ahead on "mtp daily," including the big fbi release on hillary clinton. first, here's josh lipton with the cnbc market wrap. >> the dow up 72 points. the s&p up 9 points. the nasdaq up 22 points. the economy adding 151,000 jobs last month. that was 30,000 below estimates, and unemployment remained at 4.9%. samsung is stopping sales of the galaxy note 7 after reports of them catching fire. samsung says it found, quote, battery issues.
2:35 pm
and ireland's government is joining aple to appeal the ruling that the company owes it nearly $15 billion in back taxes. that's it from cnbc, first in business worldwide. eat more fiber. flax seeds. yogurt. get moving. keep moving. i know! try laxatives. been there, done that. my chronic constipation keeps coming back. i know. tell me something i don't know. vo: linzess works differently from laxatives. linzess treats adults with ibs with constipation or chronic constipation. it can help relie your belly pain, and lets you have more frequent and complete bowel movements that are easier to pass. do not give linzess to children under six and it should not be given to children six to seventeen. it may harm them. don't take linzess if you have a bowel blockage. get immediate help if you develop unusual or severe stomach pain, especially with bloody or black stools. the most common side effect is diarrhea sometimes severe. if it's severe stop taking linzess and call your doctor right away. other side effects include gas,
2:36 pm
stomach-area pain and swelling. talk to your doctor about managing your symptoms proaively with linzess. get between you and life's dobeautiful moments.llergens flonase gives you more complete allergy relief. most allergy pills only control one inflammatory substance. flonase controls 6. and six is greater than one. flonase changes everything. ♪ clicking around and start saving at hilton.com book direct... and get the lowest price online safety doesn't come in a box. it's not a banner that goes on a wall. it's not something you do now and then. or when it's convenient. it's using state-of-the-art simulators to better prepare for any situation. it's giving offshore teams onshore support. and it's empowering anyone to stop a job
2:37 pm
if something doesn't seem right. at bp, safety is never being satisfied. and always working to be better.
2:38 pm
we will fail. i'm begging you. i need your help. please. are these the words of a stalking ex? no, the rallying cry on political fund-raising e-mails. this desperation floods your inbox, if your e-mail address falls into the hands of any political candidate or interest group left or right. the sky is falling so give us money to stop it. check out this one from nancy pelosi from the dccc. raising money, the subject line is, i've lost hope. i won't sugarcoat this. we'll fail to hit our goal tonight if grassroots democrats don't step up right now. campaigns raise money off almost everything. this one from ted cruz. he could get a primary
2:39 pm
challenger in 2018. they just can't help themselves. so send me money. hillary clinton snent this one after steve king a comments on white people's contributions to civilization. sent this one to my colleague chris hayes. this is literally white supremacy. so does this sky is falling tactic work? when campaigns play chicken little, do donors respond with checks or credit cards? or at least open the e-mail? joining me is taran rosencrants from true blue interactive. the person to blame for some of these e-mails. so explain why, and we know end of every month now has become the holiday of the sky is falling e-mails where everybody, every candidate running for office talks about how they're going to lose. why does negative reinforcement get people to give money more than positive reinforcement?
2:40 pm
>> we're all so hyperconnected. we've got to grab the attention of folks. particularly for the party committees who aren't hillary clinton or donald trump right now. they're trying to capture the attention a little away from the presidential and say why it's important. and the way for it to be important is there's a lot at stake. that's how they're getting, not just urgency but also attention. they're trying to grab it as quick as they can. the way to pull them in is that sky is falling. >> this started out as a trickle where you'd see some of this. and all of a sudden it's like everybody -- obviously this must have worked really well once and everybody said just go on repeat. wash, rinse and repeat. there has to be diminishing returns. don't you lose your credibility with the donor? >> you do. i work with a lot of challengers across the country. it's really important to not say all hope is lost and we will lose because why would i invest in you. that message absolutely will fall flat. but you'll see committees, party
2:41 pm
committees on both sides say it because the party committee is where somebody who is out there, where maybe they don't have a congressional race going on. they are in a safe democratic seat and want to be part of the process. when a party committee says the state of the democratic future is at stake. they're really going to buy into that and want to feel part of the process. they want to give that contribution to be part of something and to help that larger movement. >> is anything else work other than sky is falling? it appears like only sky is falling. or is it this campaign helps create a negative vibe so people are going to only -- >> i hate to blame it on donald trump but we have a lot to blame him for. >> some would say you also blame it on hillary clinton. >> fair enough. but it is a very toxic atmosphere. and it's very negative. and we want to say what's at stake. and there does feel to be some urgency around donald trump and what's been happening. what's being said. it's so extreme that you're
2:42 pm
seeing that extreme language and the e-mails as well. >> you guys study all of this. you look for open race. i've noticed different things. it's sometimes, hey is the subject line. >> you'll see the more personal feel. >> and hey is obviously one because so many of us will do hey. now i've stopped it because too many political fund-raising e-mails come in and i don't want people to ignore my e-mail. you'll see a couple of different things if you look at the science of subject lines. it's that -- >> i look for the delete button. >> it's the idea that you'll either try and tell them something is so alarming, so outrageous they have to be able to read it and open it to see what's inside. you don't want to give away the punch line if you will. and the second is to be really familiar and personal so that the person feels they're really a part of it and you're writing them that note directly to them. >> let me ask you about one other gimmick. dinner with donald trump, lunch with the president. breakfast with headquarter.
2:43 pm
do -- hillary clinton? does that work? >> i tell people and it's hard to tell them. it's not going to work for every candidate. but if you are hillary clinton -- >> not every candidate is someone you want to have dinner with? >> the ability of what people want. they really do want to sit down and have these dinners and lunches and get to know these people and really be on the inside. what so much of this is about and what we keep talking about is making it feel like you're having a conversation with them. you're becoming a trusted source. you'll open that e-mail if there's new information in it, right? part of that is another ability to extend that conversation to actually be in person and -- >> what is one cool new tool you guys are doing now that you feel is the new trend line that's going to get more popular? >> oh, there's so much stuff that's happening but the most interesting is that we've gone backwards a little to the tried and true fund-raising tactics. you see a lot less of the cool gadgety stuff. buzzfeed has been exciting. but the snapchats and twitter
2:44 pm
and facebook and all the social networking -- it's all still person to person solicitation which is what e-mails are. that just direct ask. >> everybody can be glad that it's september 2 and we look forward to this in 28 days. we'll look forward to this again in 28 days and then god only knows what october is going to look like. thanks for coming in and having a sense of humor about it. the clinton bounce goes bust. we'll have details on that in "the lid." stay tuned. a flu shot? when it helps give a lifesaving vaccine to a child in need. ♪ thanks to customers like you, walgreens "get a shot. give a shot." program has helped provide 15 million vaccines through the un foundation. it's that easy to make a difference. ♪ walgreens. at the corner of happy and healthy.
2:45 pm
...cleasee ya!ake off. when you're living with diabetes. steady is exciting. oh this is living baby! only glucerna has carbsteady, to help minimize blood sugar spikes. and try new glucerna hunger smart to help you feel full. always has to be who sat your desk?ne now, with one talk from verizon... hi, pete. i'm glad you called. (announcer vo) all your phones can work together on one number. you can move calls between phones, so conversations can go where you go. take your time. i'm not going anywhere. (announcer vo) and when you're not available, one talk helps find the right person who is. hi, john. (announcer vo) so wherever work takes you, you can put your customers first. introducing one talk-- another way verizon connects your business better. learn how at onetalk.com.
2:46 pm
the fbi took the unusual step of publicly releasing details of their investigation and the interview in to hillary clinton's private e-mail server. including a summary of her more than three-hour interview with the fbi back in july. there don't appear to be any ground-breaking revolutions in these 58 pages. a lot of them are redacted. but the fbi seems to have done this to prevent a selective leaking from congress. some of the key takeaways from this release, clinton never deleted nor did she instruct anyone to delete her e-mail to avoid complying with the federal records act, foia or state or fbi request for information. no evidence that clintson sought to approve to conduct state business via her personal e-mail account or private server. in one case a suspicious timing, several weeks after "the new york times" first reported the existence of clinton's private e-mail serve ea number of clinton's e-mails were suddenly
2:47 pm
deleted. the clinton campaign said this today. these materials make clear why the justice department believed there was no basis to move forward with this case. trump campaign said, the notes from her fbi interview reinforce her tremendously bad judgment and dishonesty. i still don't understand in this day and age with all the technology that we have, how is there fbi protocol that there is no recorder in there and we have no transcript. we're relying on notes. are you kidding me? anyway, we'll be right back with "the lid." real you shine throug? introducing otezla (apremilast). otezla is not an injection or a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable after just 4 months, with reduced redness, thickness, and scaliness of plaques. and the otezla prescribing information has no requirement for routine lab monitoring. don't take otezla if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
2:48 pm
otezla may increase the risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts, or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. side effects may include diarrhea, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, and if you're pregnant or planning to be. ask your dermatologist about otezla today. otezla. show more of you.
2:49 pm
but when we brought our daughter home, that was it. now i have nicoderm cq. the nicoderm cq patch with unique extended release technology helps prevent your urge to smoke all day. it's the best thing that ever happened to me. every great why needs a great how. clinton's post-convention bounce has basically dissipated today. after holding a 7 1/2-point lead over donald trump at the beginning of the month. our weekly tracking poll showed a similar trend. back with michael, ron and salinda. you're the pollster here. the bounce is gone. that's clear. >> right.
2:50 pm
>> where did it go? where did they go? it didn't go to trump. but it's -- where is it? are these going to be nonvoters? gary johnson voters? can she get them back? >> she can definitely get them back. they went different places. the men went to the third party candidates and the women went to undecided. i think that what's really interesting now is for the first time we are starting to see that the gary johnson voters are pulling more for hillary than from trump. >> funny, the number's the same but the makeup has changed. >> the composition is different. i think first of all, the national numbers are reducing more than the states. because hillary clinton is on the air in these states she's been able to hold her margin and because donald trump is not. >> one of the other reasons there has been an erosion of her support, i call it more erosion because it's not a tightening, it's her coming back down, is all of the things with the foundation. first of all, you are flabbergasted there's no
2:51 pm
recording of the fbi interview. >> that's the most important thing all summer. >> it bothers me as an american citizen. i know the fbi has this protocol and this has nothing to do with clinton. this is their protocol. >> throw out the -- have they not heard we have recordings? >> if you are hillary clinton you would want a recording of it. if you are the fbi and if you are a member of congress, republican or democrat, you want a recording of it. it's insane. we are relying on notes on this to litigate this. >> right. if you are going before a judge or jury, you want to convince them somebody committed perjury, why not show -- >> that was my point. the trump campaign wants to show she lied to the fbi. maybe she did, maybe she didn't. we have no proof. >> and never ever. >> you have to do a segment just on that. >> it was one of those things, we fell into it because you do sit there like are you kidding me? we are releasing notes? with the devices. for instance, we don't know on the notes, he said multiple devices i think 13 devices and
2:52 pm
five ipads or 13 devices or four ipads? it's one of those things, well, give me the transcript. oh, i don't have that. i'm relying on the notes of the one fbi agent who wrote that. >> who you are relying on getting it right. when he's writing it down. >> you can't possibly get everything right. >> i use a recorder because i can't take everything down and i do it for a living. >> so do we. we record it. >> anything in here that was smoking gun to you? you follow this as close as anybody. what did you see and hear? >> what do you mean by smoking gun? quid pro quo? >> no. what did you read of these notes that said either confirmed or reaffirmed anything? >> reaffirmed she's not being very forthcoming again and again and again, she says i can't remember this, i can't remember that, i can't remember this. come on. >> there are 27 i can't remember or do not recall. that's what it was. >> so it's more of the same. she did something that from the beginning that if everybody did
2:53 pm
it we would not have freedom of information act or legislative oversight or historical record. u.s. secrets would be jeopardized. she hasn't been very forthcoming, in many cases flat out lied about why all this happened. you could say it's baked in the cake. that doesn't justify it but it's baked in the cake. >> i go back and it's a question, because i think there's a lot of things to hit the clintons on when it comes to fund-raising and money and you sit there and say geez, it seems as if we are always having to pull you to transparency. but at the end of the day we have 33 years of tax returns and we have them releasing who their donors are to the clinton foundation and it is sometimes they were dragged to this, but a few things they volunteered to do. we don't have anything from trump. >> no. you likely won't get it. >> i think that undermines this attack on her. >> you know, i don't know how much it does because i think it goes back to what you were just saying. there's a lot about hillary and
2:54 pm
bill that's baked in with the voters right now. so when these further revelations come, it just furthers that. i think they have separated donald trump quite honestly. i don't think the american people expect him to release the taxes and quite honestly, i don't really think they care at this point. [ speaking simultaneously ] >> -- helping gary johnson more than anybody? >> probably. >> the more skeptical people are, i just don't trust the clinton woman, they will go, if trust is your issue, you will go to johnson? >> or you will skip the race or not turn out to vote. that's the big question. who shows up to vote. >> you had an interesting report about what it takes to get unmotivated african-american voters, people that haven't been very -- voted very often in past elections among african-americans. you were testing which messages. you found out that black lives matter was the first message that actually seemed to penetrate with this group. they have kind of given up on the american political process. >> it was a fascinating report we did for the voter
tv-commercial
2:55 pm
participation center. we found black lives matter, black votes matter was the strongest language. it finally connected to something. >> sounds like it's because black activists talking to black voters. >> right. >> not white democratic activists telling black voters what's best for them. >> that's right. in their own movement. >> inside the community. that's the key thing. >> it's fascinating. i just wanted to make sure people took a look at that. thank you all. we'll be right back.hi age. s america depends on steady leadership. donald trump: "knock the crap out of them, would you? seriously..."vo: clear thinking... donald trump: "i know more about isis than the generals do, believe me." vo: and calm judgment. donald trump: "and you can tell them to go fu_k themselves." vo: because all it takes is one wrong move. donald trump audio only: "i would bomb the sh_t out of them." vo: just one. americans are buying more and more of everything online.
2:56 pm
and so many businesses rely on the united states postal service to get it there. that's why we make more ecommerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. the united states postal service. priority: you amazing sleep stays with you all day and all night. sleep number beds adjust on both sides for your best sleep ever. don't miss the biggest sale of the year. right now save 50% on the labor day limited edition bed, plus 36-month financing. hurry, ends monday! know better sleep. only at a sleep number store. get between you and life's dobeautiful moments.llergens
2:57 pm
flonase gives you more complete allergy relief. most allergy pills only control one inflammatory substance. flonase controls 6. and six is greater than one. flonase changes everything. ♪
2:58 pm
2:59 pm
in case you missed it, there's some election year traditions that aren't really traditions anymore. take for example the once cherished idea that people don't pay attention until the world series is over. that may have been true a long time ago, say in the '40s and '50s. the world series sometimes doesn't even end until november so that idea was replaced by the one that said the traditional start of the campaign is labor day. in fact, many people cite as an example candidate ronald reagan's labor day statue of liberty speech in 1980. actually, two weeks earlier after the republican convention, reagan had already given another highly publicized and at the time criticized states' rights speech in mississippi, an area with a grim civil rights history. in other words, reagan's campaign had already begun before labor day. in fact, you want to talk about early starts, consider this. senator tom cotton of arkansas is making a trip to iowa, home of the caucuses, next month. so cotton is starting 2020 before the 2016 election is even
3:00 pm
held. let's cool all the talk this weekend of being the traditional start of the campaign because let's think of this as the traditional start of an enjoyable final three-day weekend until thanksgiving when we do recognize the contributions of american workers. see you tuesday. hopefully i will also see you sunday. "with all due respect" starts right now. i'm margaret. >> i'm john heilemann. with all due respect to summer, adios, amigo. on this special edition, special taco edition "with all due respect," we look back at this wild summer in presidential politics and look forward on what's sure to be an equally rollicking fall campaign. the fbi released notes into its now closed investigation into hillary clinton's er-mail practices

90 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on